If you’re like me, you’ve discovered that the best women’s bike clothing comes from smaller, women owned businesses. In this episode of the Femme Cyclist podcast, I interview Cassie Abel, the co-founder of Wild Rye and in a future episode this season I’ll be chatting with Jenn Kriske, the founder of Machines For Freedom.
What really sets these companies apart is that their clothes are created by women who found that the big companies just weren’t creating clothing for women that were comfortable, functional, and attractive. And they’ve actually listened to women like you and I to discover what we want. They’ve recognized that not all women on bikes are a size 4.
Whether you’ve been considering purchasing a pair of shorts from Wild Rye, or you’re just interested in bad ass women creating their own space in the male-dominated cycling industry, you’ll enjoy my conversation with Cassie. She’s an inspiring business woman and a new mom trying to balance it all (something many of us can relate to). She’s also the first person I’ve talked to who who’s acutally had COVID which was interesting to hear about as well.
Wherever you are, whether you’re about to hop onto the trainer for a ride or you’re sitting in the car on the way to work, I hope you enjoy this interview.
Stuff We Chat About In This Interview
- How Wild Rye was born and her belief that women deserved better options.
- What makes Wild Rye unique–durable, approachable vibe, contemporary style.
- Having a baby and the courage to get back on the bike after giving birth.
- Cassie’s experience getting COVID-19 and how Wild Rye has fared during the pandemic.
- Why Wild Rye had to switch from U.S. manufacturing to overseas, and how they’ve managed to create a sustainable supply chain.
- How Wild Rye has created tehcnical apparel for women in a wide range of sizes.
- What it’s like to be a woman in a male-dominated industry.
- How she’s helped created Women Led Wednesday and a women led brand directory.
Where To Listen
My Reviews Of Wild Rye Apparel
- Wild Rye Review: Freel Mountain Bike Short And Sandia Short Sleeve Jersey
- Review: Wild Rye Freyah Women’s Mountain Bike Pants
- Wild Rye Baddie Bib Short Review
Where To Shop For Wild Rye
Other Links Mentioned In This Episode
Connect With Cassie + Wild Rye
More Interviews From Industry Leaders
- Body and Size Diversity And Inclusivity With Jennifer Kriske From Machines For Freedom
- The Story Behind Shredly With Ashley Rankin
- Why We Need Bikes Designed For Women With Georgena Terry
About The Host
Kristen Bonkoski is the founder and owner of Femme Cyclist.
An avid cyclist for a few decades now, she took to cycling during her late teen years — a time when she needed something to help boost her self-esteem and confidence.
Mission accomplished, the sport has become an important part of her life. Kristen’s favorite disciplines are mountain biking and bike commuting, although you can also find her cranking out a century on her road bike and touring with her husband and son. If it has to do with two wheels, she enjoys doing it.
Kristen is a certified USA Cycling coach, and she runs Rascal Rides, a website about biking with kids.
Are You Listening To The Femme Cyclist Podcast?!?
A podcast for women who love bicycles! We we celebrate all forms of riding and all forms of women, so whether you’re a road cyclist, mountain biker, or bike commuter, you’ll find your community here. Each week we’ll week bring you interviews from inspiring women, and offer tips and tricks to help you thrive on the bike.