My two big passions in life are cycling and reading, so of course if there’s a book about bikes, I’m going to read it. Obviously, I was excited when I heard about a new book about the history of women on bikes. It’s called Revolutions: How Women Changed the World on Two Wheels.
I ended up reading it in two evenings and found it really entertaining and educational. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that I immediately reached out to the author, Hannah Ross, to see if she would come on the podcast to chat about it.
In this interview, we talk about the history of women on bikes (and women’s bikes themselves), the diversity problem in cycling, and how we can get more women on bicycles. You’ll also notice during the interview, the sounds of Hannah’s baby daughter in the background which I found very fitting.
As Femme Cyclist, we’re not just bicyclists–we’re mothers, authors, professionals, daughters, and so many other roles–and yet we still find time to get out on two wheels and move towards our goals and dreams. Sometimes it’s messy and not all in perfect harmony, but that’s okay–that’s real life.
Stuff We Chat About In This Episode
- The very first women’s specific bicycles. Spoiler: they came out in the 1890s.
- How women dressed on the bicycle in the early days.
- The role the bicycle played for the suffragettes.
- Why better cycling infrastructure can help get more women on bicycles.
- How slow cycling has been to accept women and the gender gap in professional cycling.
- Why representation matters and the history of cycling as a white and male sport.
Where To Listen
Buy The Book:
- At Amazon:https://amzn.to/33sD84n* (affiliate link)
- At Barnes & Noble:https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/revolutions-hannah-ross/1134237300?ean=9780593083604
Connect With Hannah:
More Episodes You Might Like
- The Groundbreaking Science Of Women Athletes With Christine Yu
- Keeping Young Girls On Bikes With Molly Hurford
- On Being A Woman In The Bike Industry With Sarah Johnson
About The Host
Kristen Bonkoski is the founder and owner of Femme Cyclist.
An avid cyclist for a few decades now, she took to cycling during her late teen years — a time when she needed something to help boost her self-esteem and confidence.
Mission accomplished, the sport has become an important part of her life. Kristen’s favorite disciplines are mountain biking and bike commuting, although you can also find her cranking out a century on her road bike and touring with her husband and son. If it has to do with two wheels, she enjoys doing it.
Kristen is a certified USA Cycling coach, and she runs Rascal Rides, a website about biking with kids.
Are You Listening To The Femme Cyclist Podcast?!?
A podcast for women who love bicycles! We we celebrate all forms of riding and all forms of women, so whether you’re a road cyclist, mountain biker, or bike commuter, you’ll find your community here. Each week we’ll week bring you interviews from inspiring women, and offer tips and tricks to help you thrive on the bike.