All of us who ride our bikes are endurance athletes, but there is another group of cyclists that we call ultra-endurance athletes. These folks are riding their bikes hundreds of miles at a time over periods of 24 hours or more.
To talk about ultra-endurance cycling, I sat down with Meaghan Hackinen. Meaghan is a two time World 24 Hour Time Trial Champion, has the women’s Fastest Known Time for The Big Lonely, and is the author of “South Away: The Pacific Coast on Two Wheels.”
We chat about training, the mental component of ultra-endurance cycling, and tips for anybody who is interested in trying a big ultra race. Whether or not you want to ever want to complete an ultra, this episode will give you insight into what it takes to perform at a high level.
Stuff We Cover In This Episode
- How Meaghan got started with ultra-endurance cycling.
- How she deals with sleep deprivation.
- What has made her successful.
- Things that Meaghan does to work on her mental game.
- Her strategy for nutrition and hydration.
- What Meaghan’s favorite races are.
- Advice for ultra newbies.
Connect With Meaghan
- Instagram: @meaghanhackinen
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/meaghanhackinen
- Website: https://meaghanhackinen.com/
- Book: https://bookshop.newestpress.com/products/south-away-the-pacific-coast-on-two-wheels