Did you grow up riding mountain bikes? Chances are you didn’t. But that’s all changing for the current generation of young girls, thanks in large part to Little Bellas.
This amazing organization has spent more than a decade running camps and weekly programs to get girls ages 7 to 18 years old out on mountain bikes, and develop their confidence along the way.
At the head of Little Bellas is Executive Director and co-founder Sabra Davidson. In this episode of the Femme Cyclist podcast, I get to chat with Sabra about Little Bellas and how mountain biking can help mold confident, capable women.
Stuff We Chat About In This Episode
- What Little Bellas is all about, and how the program differs by age group.
- Why Sabra founded Little Bellas (along with Lea Davidson and Angela Irvine).
- How you can get involved by mentoring or donating money.
- How Little Bellas has tried to reach out to disadvantaged girls.
- The role pro ambassadors play in the program.
- Why mountain biking is different than other sports for young women.
- Why there’s a gender gap in mountain biking.
- What you can do as a parent to encourage your child to develop a love for biking.
- The importance of supporting women’s-specific brands.
Where To Listen
Learn More About Little Bellas
- Little Bellas website: https://littlebellas.com/
- On Instagram: https://instagram.com/littlebellasmtb/
- On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/littlebellasmtb
More Episodes You Might Like
- Keeping Young Girls On Bikes With Molly Hurford
- Face Your Fears With Lindsey Richter From Ladies AllRide
- Why You Need To Attend a ROAM Event
About The Host
Kristen Bonkoski is the founder and owner of Femme Cyclist.
An avid cyclist for a few decades now, she took to cycling during her late teen years — a time when she needed something to help boost her self-esteem and confidence.
Mission accomplished, the sport has become an important part of her life. Kristen’s favorite disciplines are mountain biking and bike commuting, although you can also find her cranking out a century on her road bike and touring with her husband and son. If it has to do with two wheels, she enjoys doing it.
Kristen is a certified USA Cycling coach, and she runs Rascal Rides, a website about biking with kids.
Are You Listening To The Femme Cyclist Podcast?!?
A podcast for women who love bicycles! We we celebrate all forms of riding and all forms of women, so whether you’re a road cyclist, mountain biker, or bike commuter, you’ll find your community here. Each week we’ll week bring you interviews from inspiring women, and offer tips and tricks to help you thrive on the bike.