We all dream of making our passion our career, and Tegan Phillips has done just that. In fact she’s managed to merge two passions into a unique career path–she rides bikes AND draws cartoons about bikes, both professionally.
Tegan has one of my favorite Instagram accounts in which she shares her cartoons as well as her bicycle adventures. It was only a matter of time before I had to have her on the podcast.
In this interview, I chat with Tegan about her art, adventure cycling in Africa, and keeping your butt happy when biking long distances. If you’re looking for a little inspiration about living a life off the beaten path, you’ll want to listen to this episode.
Stuff We Chat About In This Episode
- How Tegan got started cycle touring and cartooning about it
- Why keeping your butt happy is the most important thing in cycling touring–and how to go about it.
- Why cycling in Africa is safer than you think it is.
- Safety for women cycle touring abroad.
- How Tegan chooses her routes.
- What an “adventure mindset” is and how to develop it.
- Tegan’s goals and dreams for the next chapter of her life.
- Why it’s important to find female role models.
Connect With Tegan Phillips
- Website: https://teganphillips.com/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/teganphillipscomics/
- Shop: https://teganphillips.com/shop
More Stuff You Might Like
- A Bikepacking Adventure Thru Pakistan, India, and Nepal With Eliza Sampey
- 5 Best Women’s Touring Bikes (and How to Choose)
- How To Develop Mental Toughness with Joanna Zeiger
About The Author
Kristen Bonkoski is the founder and owner of Femme Cyclist.
An avid cyclist for a few decades now, she took to cycling during her late teen years — a time when she needed something to help boost her self-esteem and confidence.
Mission accomplished, the sport has become an important part of her life. Kristen’s favorite disciplines are mountain biking and bike commuting, although you can also find her cranking out a century on her road bike and touring with her husband and son. If it has to do with two wheels, she enjoys doing it.
Kristen is a certified USA Cycling coach, and she runs Rascal Rides, a website about biking with kids.